I am going to give a little background and explanation on the whole process. Honestly I am only explaining this to the whole blog world because a) it gives all the detail to my family and b) it will explain all the questions that people are bound to have when they see the inevitable pictures on here of our sweet little boy. (If you aren't interested in the details and prefer the "picture book" edition, go to the bottom :))
First off, Cooper was breech at 28 weeks and never changed position. My water broke at almost 31 weeks and he was left inside without much fluid for swimming for 3 weeks :)
Cooper was diagnosed with torticollis at 2 months and has been seeing a PT weekly for this.
“Torticollis, which means the neck muscles are too tight, have inadequate tone, or are shorter on one side than the other, causing the head to tilt one way while the chin points in the opposite direction.”
The causes of congenital torticollis…
- If there's too much or too little amniotic fluid…. CHECK
-Intrauterine malposition is considered to cause damage … a breech baby whose head gets wedged under the mother's ribs…. CHECK
Plagiocephaly (the assymetical shaping of a childs head) is reported as a coexisting impairment in 80% to 90.1% of children with congenital torticollis. The flattening (plagiocephaly and/or brachycepahly) of the head can be caused due to different reasons, here is a list from some literature we have received…
-Infants with torticollis have a higher risk for plagiocephaly ... CHECK
-Premature babies are more prone to positional plagiocephaly… their skulls are softer than those of full-term babies, and they spend a great deal of time on their backs… Cooper was 6 weeks early … CHECK
- The most common cause of a flattened head is a baby's sleep position. Because an infant sleeps so many hours on the back of his or her head, the head sometimes assumes a flat shape. Cooper has been an AMAZING sleeper since early on… CHECK
-“When not in the car it is imperative that you keep your baby out of the car seat whenever possible. Car carriers and car seats have one of the most dramatic impacts on your baby’s head shape.” (GREAT! Wish someone would have told me this, I bragged on how great of a sleeper Cooper was and how until 6 months old when we had something planned, I would just put him awake in his carrier and sit it by the back door and he would fall asleep without a peep and then I could just pick him up and put him in the car when Will and I were going somewhere!) … CHECK
(Let’s hope he passes tests this well in school one day!)
The number of positional plagiocephaly cases increased sixfold from 1992 to 1994, occurring in approximately 33 out of every 10,000 births. This dramatic increase started when the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) began its "Back to Sleep" campaign, which continues to recommend that babies sleep on their backs to reduce the risk of SIDS.
They measured Coopers head and there is a scale placing the symmetry as mild, moderate, and severe. He measured on the upper end of moderate. “A cranial remolding orthosis or helmet is a device that will help to reshape a baby’s head… by guiding the growth of the head. The cranial remolding helmet does not actually remold the head as the name implies, but rather, it will make contact with the “higher spots” of the head and leave relief in the lower areas so that the head will “fill in” these areas. This technique will, with growth, guide the shape of the head into improved symmetry.” An infant's skull is made up of six separate cranial bones. These bones are held together by strong, fibrous, elastic tissues called cranial sutures. The spaces between the bones where the sutures are (sometimes known as "soft spots") are called fontanelles. They are a part of normal development. The cranial bones remain separate for about 12-18 months. They then grow together (fuse) as part of normal growth. They stay fused throughout adulthood. Head growth occurs at its most rapid rate during the first year of life. The head grows to almost 80 per cent of the adult size during the first year, then grows at a slower pace.
Cooper will have the helmet for around 6 months. As any parent knows kids hit growth spurts at all different times and then will go for some time without much growth. The same is true with the head. We will just wait and see how quickly his head grows, reshapes and fuses. We obviously had to make the decision to do this now since there is a short window for us to reshape his head. I did not want to think a year or ten years from now “man I wish we would have done something for him, his head looks strange.” Especially being a boy who will have short hair it would have been more obvious. He will wear the helmet 23 hours a day.
But, GOD IS GOOD. He never gives us more than we can handle and always helps us stand up underneath life’s situations when we rely on him. Last year I babysat two children from church every other week while their mother worked. And the little boy had to have a helmet from 6-12months. So, I have seen and dealt with it first hand. I guess God was preparing me for this! They tell you that the babies really adapt to it and it is the parents who have more of an issue with them wearing it. I think I would be concerned about how Cooper would adapt to it had I not had the opportunity to see this little boy rarely be phased by wearing it.
A funny/ironic thing… The little boy I watched was named Adam, and Will just LOVED him and still does when we see him at church. The whole time I was pregnant Will said he wanted to name the baby Adam. After Cooper was born and we told Will his name was “Cooper,” he said “No, it is Adam.” When we brought Cooper home from the NICU Will asked when and if Cooper would get a helmet. It was pretty cute and funny to us at the time that he thought all babies got helmets. Well, here we are and Cooper IS getting a helmet! And so, God prepared our sweet Will for this too! He does not think it odd and is ready to explain to people that his “head is flat.”
Today when I picked up Will from a friends while we had the appointment to get the helmet his first response was "that's pretty cool... can we decorate it with markers?" :) Wills bike helmet is made my crayola and has special markers that you can decorate and redecorate it with. When we get home he wanted to put his helmet on and take a picture with Cooper.
I admit that my mothers heart is hurting today as we start this process. I KNOW he won't remember it. I KNOW that it is good for him in the long run. I KNOW that people will stare but at least he is so young that he won't understand the stares. But it still breaks my heart. I LOVE LOVE LOVE kissing and smelling my kiddos heads (weird I know but I honestly do it MANY times a day to both of them). And now, I can't get to his little head AND it is going to stink :(. We will clean it daily, but as you can imagine 23 hours a day for about 6 months in the heat of the summer is going to get pretty nasty. The man today said that if I come in and it doesnt' stink then he knows we haven't been having him wear it. We break him into wearing it full time over 5 days. So, today when I took it off after 1 hour his head was DRENCHED! And those who know me well know that I have a crazy strong sniffer!! ohhh goodness! :) I ordered some rosemary mint antibacterial wipes from Bath and Body Works that I am hoping will help.
Thank you for your love, prayers, and concern for our sweet little Cooper. He is quite the Trooper!
Wheeew! How many of you actually read all of that?
Now, any smart remarks I can use for people who ask and look in public?! :) My sister said to just tell them I am overprotective and don't want to hurt his head. Maybe I can just have Will wear his bike helmet every time we go out so that we look really good :)
And now, you don’t think I am actually going to post without pictures huh! …
Two pictures showing his torticollis, he leaned to his right and back.


A few shots showing how flat it is
And then from the top, I think it looks like a trapezoid :)
He wore little sensors all over his head and face.
They performed a scan that then fed to some computer program making a replica of his head... it was pretty amazing to see it on the computer screen. It is like motion capture... how they filmed Polar Express and (via Pat) how they make video games.

With the scan they make a mold of his head (the cream color) and then fill in the gaps making a "perfect" head (white) and that is what the helmet is made from. Thus he helmet sits where the cream color is and there is growth room where the white is.
16 comments:
Praying for you! I know it must be hard to watch your precious baby go through this. His head will be back to normal in no time. Thanks for sharing this will all of us.
Thanks for sharing! I DID read it all. =) I see you went for the solid blue (instead of flowers or lambs =). Cooper looks very precious!
Hang in there! We're praying that the helmut does its job quickly (w/o much smell!)
I like the idea of Will wearing a helmet, too, when you guys go out somewhere. And you're right that Will won't even remember it. Hang in there, Mama!
Little Cooper looks like he is ready to jump on his bicycle and take off. I think he looks adorable. You have such a precious family Sarah and I know God will help you all handle whatever comes your way. We will definitely be praying for your family.
Thanks for the entire explanation. I sure did read it all. I know how your heart must be hurting but I also love your Godly heart in seeing how God has prepared your whole family for this. And wow what a great relief to know today's medical world can help him with this. We will be praying that the helmet works fast and that people don't stare too much. You will find that God gives you the actions and words when people look and ask. And by the way I love the idea of having Will wear his helmet when you go out. Who knows Will might think it is kind of cool. You are all in our prayers.
Just tell people he is a football player in training!!
also... I have a friend whose son does not have an immune system. So he has to wear a mask in public throughout flu season. When someone asks him what's wrong with him? he answers, "NOTHING! What's wrong with you??" I love his sweet 3rd grade response!
Definitely praying for you all! and Yes- I read the whole thing!
YOU amaze me, Sarah!! First of all, I miss you!! Secondly, I did read it all. Third, I'm praying for you and sending love and hugs your way!! Love ya, girl!!!! Billye :)
Read every word, thanks for all the details. We're praying it does the job ASAP...smells and all :)
Praying for you and your family. I hope all goes well. Hang in there.
He's beautiful Sarah! I mean handsome and rugged. :) We're praying for you guys.
Your story about Will thinking all babies get a helmet is so sweet. I guess we won't be surprised if Cooper grows up to play, as you said, football, or wrestles, or plays rugby, or rides a motorcycle :)
I also think he looks rather cute in his helmet. It looks like he is already comfortable wearing it. Amazing how God prepared all of you to go through this! I'm praying for you!
Miss Sarah:
Coop a Loop looks awesome! I know this must be hard but you are doing the right thing - I also read the whole post. You and Pat are terrific parents - I will apply my smart a... brain to a few whitty comebacks in case you need them - just too tired right now. By the way, the "unscientific explanation" about most of these head and neck issues can probably be traced back to the classic Smits curse of having a a jumbo pumpkin - After all, look at me, my brother and Uncle Kev - we're just happy to have another guy in our club!
Keep smiling - these 6 months will go by so fast that you'll have a hard time remembering them!
I love you
I think he may take up race car driving. You use to wear a patch and I wore braces on my legs as an infant. This too will pass. Keep up the good work you two are doing raising these two.
Pepere
Sarah,
I'm glad you wrote it all out; I read it! This is what I call a "mama moment": doing the right thing even though it's SO hard. :( God is faithful. His power is made perfect in our weakness.
amanda :)
p.s. I have actually wished we could have a helmet for Lillian; you know how bumps and bruises are so common when they start walking!
9But he [the LORD] said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9
Our little boy just finished wearing his helmet. He also had/has torticollis and is in PT. We are so thankful we did it and you are right, it is harder for mom!
Post a Comment