Monday, October 20, 2008

Cooper Update

Well, it looks like being breech for 5+ weeks took its toll on Cooper. The doctor was not happy with his "muscle tone" in his neck at his 2 month appointment. So last week we had a PT and OT come out to the house to do an evaluation on him... this is via a program here in Indiana called first steps. I got the call today saying he qualifies for the program. So we meet next week to set up a "plan" for him. They will come out to our house for the sessions AND it is free for us!

Basically his little legs and neck swing to the left... this was VERY evident in the NICU (since he was laying their naked all day!) but seemed to get somewhat better, or we just got used to it I think. But his poor neck that we just thought was fat with rolls is really VERY tight muscles that need to be stretched and lengthened. And they were not happy with his right leg/hip muscle and it's mobility. They gave us some exercises to do "every hour".... we just do it every time he is awake ... and he HATES it! He just screams through it and it breaks my heart. You can tell it is painful. I told Pat that we are making our content little baby a crier! He cries the most when we do these stretches with his neck.... you know that feeling of a REALLY tight muscles that you stretch and massage... it is what I call a "good hurt"... Pat has never agreed with that description (the man HATES massages... I know I know... what is wrong with him I have no idea... unfortunately since he hates them it affects me getting them since he doesn't grasp the pure joy that they are) and I don't think Cooper thinks it is a "good hurt" either :(

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who hates massages!? I hope your little guy gets stronger soon.

molly said...

Oh Sarah, I had to do those stretches with Ethan starting at 5 weeks. He would cry so bad. Maybe do them a little more gentle than what they said to...just until he gets use to them and those muscles get loosened a little. It helped with Ethan. Once he got use to it, it was so much better.

And, what's wrong with Pat...I'll never understand people that don't like massages! :)

Michelle said...

Joe sees little babies for this a lot...torticollis (is that what they called it?) He sees really good results when the parents do the exercises at home in combination with PT. Good luck. He's looking really cute!

Jenny said...

Poor little guy...he'll get stronger soon! He is so cute....love those cheeks! (They remind me a little of Hawk's when he was tiny.)