Sunday, May 30, 2010

Thank You

This week I have been thinking alot about what the Memorial Day weekend stands for and how all to often we overlook why we celebrate.  I was thinking about how to often we fall into the trap of viewing it as a much needed three day weekend or a perfect day to clear the honey do list.  In our neck of the woods it revolves around a two and a half mile piece of asphalt better known as the Indy 500.  And all across the states people gather to enjoy a backyard barbecue with family and friends.

However, all to often I think we focus on those things and not the real reason for the three day weekend, Memorial Day.  It is a day to remember those that have given their lives for us and our country. 



A day to recognize those that have stood and are standing up to defend our freedom and liberties so that we don't have to fear.  It is a day to say thank you to those that are right now standing in harms way, sacrificing so that are flag can continue to fly high.  These soldiers and their family's sacrifice everyday and to often we overlook that as we go about our daily lives.

A few months back I was traveling through the Oklahoma City and witnessed something that will always stick with me.  Ask I was waiting for my plane I noticed a group of people moving towards the windows and looking at the tarmac outside.  I was curious and went over to see what was drawing passerbys and those sitting in the gate area.  It was a fallen soldier making his last trip home.  As the flag draped casket made its way out of the plane and was then lifted by six fellow soldiers and marched to the awaiting Hurst.  The family was standing outside with an officer watching as their loved one was escorted home.  I looked around at those that were watching and couldn't help but notice all of the veterans that were in the crowd standing at full attention and saluting their brother in arms.  I was also amazed that an airport terminal could be so quiet, you could have heard a pin drop, as everyone around was quietly paying their respects.  It was very easy to remember the soldiers overseas when you see and experience a moment like that but how do you do when you don't have a visual reminder?

So I encourage you to take a moment and remember those that have fallen, served and are serving and say a prayer for them and pray that those that the fathers, mothers, sons, daughters,  brothers and sisters that are away from home and defending our freedom will make it back safely.  I would bet that the majority of us have family or friends that have/are serving or know people that do.  Memorial Day is a day that should touch all of us.

In parting to all of those that serve and have served THANK YOU!! 


Pat

2 comments:

Grumpy said...

Thanks for remembering - I will send a picture of my dad's grave marker via email - I definitely spent some time thinking of him today - I also remembered my month of funeral service while at Ft. Sill - I'll never forget how emotional it was...

Vicki Dees said...

Thank you for these important thoughts and the moving story about honoring those that have given all for our country.

Kerwin and Vicki