Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Update on our little guy

Cooper has done great the past few days, here is a little run down....

-Yesterday morning they took off the CPAP (inflated lungs but he was breathing on his own) and gave him a flow through his nose that gave his passage ways moisture but he was still breathing on his own, and by yesterday afternoon they had him off of that and he was breathing COMPLETELY on his own and doing GREAT!
-They began feeding him through a tube in his mouth yesterday morning, he digested about 1/2 of his first two feedings and then began digesting them completely (b/c he did this today they moved him up from 10ml to 15ml), they are giving him anything I have pumped and formula (usually ends up being 2-4 mls colostrum and the rest is formula)
-They let me try to nurse him yesterday in the afternoon and I went back to try again last night but they didn't let me... they see how many breaths he is taking in a minute and if it is too high they don't want to over stimulate him by trying to nurse. He doesn't quite have the sucking down... they would drop a few drops in the corner of his mouth of formula and he would suck it off and then be done! :) This morning I went to try and feed him and for the first 30 minutes he wouldn't even do this, and as I thought we were just going to take him off and give up he started sucking like a champ (continuously)... this was encouraging!
-Since all breathing apparatus are gone, they are going to move his feeding tube to his nose so that nursing/suction should be easier.
-He is a bit jaundice so is under the lamps full time.

Hmmmm, that is all I can think of for updates right now! Thanks for all the prayers and calls! Like when I first got in here three weeks ago, it has been NUTSO between doctors, nurses, going up stairs to his room, pumping here in mine, and trying to recover from the section..... sorry I have not called ANYONE back (haven't even talked to all my siblings yet!) ... but the emails, comments and calls are appreciated!

Love- Pat, Sarah, Will and Cooper Smits!

Here are a few pictures.....

Cooper with the CPAP

Cooper without any help breathing and with his oral gastric feeding tube.
Mimi & Grumpy with Grandbaby #2

Daddy and Cooper


Miss Liza (what a blessing she has been), Nana and a TIRED SWOLLEN looking Sarah! :)



The will let us hold him during his feedings



Mama and her boys! :) Will said "Cooper you need to come home in TEN minutes!"


"Kangaroo care"... premies have been shown to thrive when spending chest to chest time with Mom and Dad... I enjoy it too! :)

5 comments:

Mom Keena said...

Wow! Everyone is doing so great! Sarah, you look beautiful in the photo kangarooing Cooper! And I agree with Will, you ALL should go home in 10 minutes!

Diana said...

Sarah he is just so so cute!!! I am so happy that things are going so well! I am so happy for you that they are letting you try and nurse him @ times - that is such great progress! I am glad you are all doing so well and I will continue to pray for you all! You look great in the pics too - Not @ all like you just had surgery!!!! Hoping you continue to recover quickly!

Carmen said...

Sarah~CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! What a precious baby boy. Will is going to be the best big brother ever!!! Obviously, he's already stepped up to the plate and assumed the role proudly. We can't wait to see you and meet Cooper! I pray you're feeling stronger each day! What a testimony you have to share. God has truly blessed you and your family!
Love, Carmen

Hannah said...

What a great update! So glad to hear he is doing so well and that you are recovering fast. The pictures of Cooper are so precious. Will is so cute too, he is such a great big brother already. I am sure he will be very happy to have his mommy and baby brother home soon.

Heidi is doing well and recovering fast. Mommy and baby are going well and Andrew loves his baby sister. I will put pics on my blog as soon as I get some.

Hannah said...

Mama, you look good!

So wonderful to see pics of your boys. Thanks for the updates!