Wednesday, July 16, 2008

One more day under my belt...

Ok, first off... I just got off the phone with a friend, and I guess my last post might have some confused/worried... I am not losing my eye sight or going blind, I was just born with bad eyes! She had me cracking up because she was worried I was losing my sight that had something to do with my pregnancy... NO just haven't had good eyes my whole life and what I was talking about was the fact that I am given FREE Internet access here with the TV screen being my monitor... but if you scooted my bed all the way against the wall where the TV is and I stood up and looked at it I MIGHT be able to actually read and email! haha! Good laugh... hopefully no one else was too worried for the past two days about my blindness!



Well, I have almost made it through another day!

It has been busy and emotional but today went by pretty fast.


The baby is still looking great... I am on the monitors as we speak. My mom just left and Pat will be heading up here for the night.


Yesterday when Will and Missy visited after his nap I ventured out of my room on my first wheel chair ride... it was nice getting out... so strange that I had been in the SAME room for that long... can't think of a time where I would have ever been in one room for that many hours. They have a great balcony on my floor that we were able to go out on and Will could run around.




Last night they gave me three different thins to help me sleep and it worked! I got a good night sleep and today my body felt a lot better as far as achy and sore. It is strange how much my back, hips, and ankles have been aching (don't get me wrong, not excruciating pain just constant aching and uncomfortableness) just from sitting in one place. I told Pat I just wish I could get up and go for a jog, I think I would feel sooo much better! They sent two more PT's in today to give me exercises to do, so hopefully that will help. And I can let Pat know that massages are TOTALLY allowed on my hips and back (he was nervous he was going to send me into labor... good excuse huh.... usually he can just say his hands hurt... but that excuse has NEVER worked for me since he can do XBOX for HOURS!) just not calves and feet (this does induce labor).

The hospital has a really neat support system. And today at 10 was the ante-partum support group, it started right when Will showed up with my mom and Missy so I wasn't going to go but they thought it was a good idea. Yeah, I made it about 5 minutes! Will had already gotten me crying before we left as he crawled up in bed with me and was asking me if I was leaving with him and saying he didn't want to leave (all the other visits he has been running around and TOTALLY fine when it was time to go). So when the wheeled me to the meeting he started crying and they said he could stay with me.... and obviously after about two minutes a two year old is up and running.... so Missy was just going to take him and go do what they were going to do today anyway and come back after naps. Well, he is screaming and crying as he heads across the lobby to the elevator.... and the flood gates just opened for me! I am sure I looked like a crazy women, I just got up and left and my mom went and got him for me again. Anyway, I did not go back to the meeting and he came back to the room with me for a while. Man, it was hard! This is the hardest thing right now.... I really have a peace about the baby and God taking care or him/her .... it is the fact that I am not with Will and taking care of him and how much life just changed in the blink of an eye without preparation... we left for the hospital during his nap on Saturday and it has not been the same since... and won't be! ahhh...crying again!

The support has been amazing... church, my MOPS group, family, the hospital. I have had several women (that I know and don't know) email me and tell me encouraging stories of their experiences that were very similar to what we are going through. Plus, the lady who is charge of long term OB patients (was running the meeting I ran out on) came by and gave me a journal, pocket thing to hang on my bed (made by volunteers), and just some neat information about the hospital and NICU.


Also, the Smits have a neighbor/VERY good family friend who works in a NICU in Dallas... this is soooo amazing, she has sent us a packet on information on premie's plus had her boss contact the head of the NICU here and informed her of our situation.... she has sent 3 snoodles (not EXACTLY sure what this is but it is something for parents to hold and get their scent on and then give to their babies in the incubator... hard to come by I guess...once i get more information I will let you know) one for her to give us when the baby comes and two as thank yous for this hospital. She told Mark (Pats dad) that this is an amazing hospital as far as NICU's go and I we are in great hands!

We have learned a lot more neat stuff about the NICU too that I will share later.... actually at this point I have learned the stuff and Pat doesn't even know yet! I am anxious for him to get here so we can catch up on all that happened today.

My room has been brightened with a few flower arrangements which is soo nice! Thank you! Missy and Will also made me a sign that I get to look at all day.




Here is Pat is his living quarters... he said the bed/couch is actually pretty comfortable... and YES he has his XBOX 360 here! :) The nurse said that is fine as long as he is not playing while I am in labor! :)


Ok, that is enough of my just rambling... if you are still reading, thanks for caring!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm loving and appreciating the updates! It's great to hear of all the blessings and encouragement sent your way.

Hurray for another day under your belt! So thankful baby is doing so well!!

It's so sweet and heartbreaking about Will not wanting to leave you!!! I'm so sorry you have that emotional roller coaster going on in addition to everything else. But it sounds like he's having a great time with Grandmas. That's such a blessing!

Unknown said...

So glad I found your blog! We prayed for you at small group Saturday night. Scott Vachon filled us in on the news. Am glad to hear that you are still in the hospital with baby IN you! We are praying the baby will continue to develop for several weeks before making his/her entrance. I have enjoyed seeing pictures of your family. Will is SOOOO cute!!! We really miss having you in Siloam. I will keep track of your progress and continue to pray!!
Barbara Henderson (for Jim, too)

D.R.C + D.E.C said...

Hey Smits Family!

Just wanted you to know that we are thinking of you and praying for you all!

My parents also have a blog if you want to keep in touch with them (and fill some of the minutes as you lay in bed :)

We love you all-

Danae Keena Castle

Diana said...

Hi Sarah -
You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers! I am so thankful that you and Baby Smits are doing well and that he/she is content for the moment with staying in the oven and growing :-) !
So happy that you were able to get out of your room and how especially nice for you to be able to get outside for a bit! I can't imagine how difficult it is because Will can't understand exactly the "whys" of why you aren't able to come home with him and why he can't stay with you all the time! You are ALL in my thoughts and prayers! Please let us know if you need anything @ all!
ps - Does this mean you are playing x-box with Pat to pass the time?!? :-)
Diana (from MOPS) :-)

Denyse said...

Sarah- I have been thinking about you and your family so much. It is so great to be able to log on and see how everything is going. It sounds like you have definitely had some exciting things happen in the last couple days. Praise God they finally let you get some fresh air.
Is there anything you need? I practically have my own library and would love to bring or send anything you need. Tell me your favorite types of books or magazines and we can deliver a care package. Hopefully that little one is going to cooperate and keep growing until the doctor says its time to come out.
I will be praying for all of you.
Denyse
Denysehurt@gmail.com

Mom Keena said...

Hi Sarah! Thanks for the updates. You are in our prayers. Hope all continues to go well. We've arrived in Bozeman, and are settling in. Jim officially starts work next week, so we've been able to get the house set up, and played a little. Take care!